Calm breeze 3 column

Friday, February 22, 2013

Homemade is best

 That's what Grandma always says and she's always right.

I have been avoiding pre packaged foods for years as it aggravates my Crohns but ever since dealing with infertility, I have been moving toward a more natural lifestyle. Not only in how H and I eat, but in how we take care of ourselves.

Acupuncture has been invaluable in regulating my cycles and quieting my mind and tummy and seeing a chiropractor has helped with my posture and neck and shoulder tension. H even sees someone in the acupuncture office ...no needles for him but he does take the Chinese herbs that the Dr. prescribes and it helps him tremendously.

I was always that girl that believed in loading up on NyQuil and Dayquil and resting as much as I could to get better. The older I get, the less this seems to help. Or maybe, it just takes longer to get over stuff as you age. Who knows?

I don't get sick often but when I do, it levels me. So, when my throat started to get sore yesterday morning and I sneezed a few more times than usual, I consulted my "Be healthy" board on Pinterest. I had pinned a bunch of home remedies when news of the flu outbreak hit the wires weeks ago. You know, just in case.

Here is what I came up with:

1. 1 tsp. of raw honey with 1/4 tsp. of cinnamon  in the morning and
before bed.

2. 2 oz. of apple cider vinegar in 8 oz. of water (really gross )

3. Vicks vapor rub on my feet at night (with a pair of socks, of course)

4. Hot water with lemon....lots of lemon, throughout the day.

This is in addition to my usual cold care:  hot steam vaporizer at night, Tylenol, neti pot and plenty of chicken soup and orange juice.

Whew! It's like a job getting all of this stuff together. I am on day 3 and I can't tell if it's working yet. I still have a wicked sinus headache...my face hurts and my teeth feel like they are going to fall out from the pressure but things do seem to be loosening up.

Thank goodness I have the weekend to ride it out. As it is, I had to take 2 sick days this week. That just means less time off when we finally take home our baby. Damn the flu.

No comments:

Post a Comment