Calm breeze 3 column

Sunday, January 22, 2012

You know what they say about practice...

Babysitting is nothing new for me-I was the most sought after babysitter in Tioga Terrace when I was a teen-constantly booked. I sat for children as young as 3 months old. I think it's so funny how people were so much more willing to leave their babies with anyone back then. I have many friends who would never consider letting a teen watch their young children. Of course, I was uber responsible and I had a baby sister 10 years younger than me to practice with.

We're pretty close with many of our friends' children. (Not to mention our own niece and nephew) We are kind of like every one's Aunt and Uncle and we feel quite flattered by that. It got me thinking, though....Do you think children somehow know? Can they sense that we have had heartache and losses? Do they get some kind of vibe from us? I don't think we seem desperate but we always seem to become instant pals with the kids we know. I can't tell you how many times I've heard "He usually doesn't like strangers" or  "She doesn't let anyone else hold her". Even though H is so big children don't seem to be threatened by him at all. I always say it's because he has such a pure heart. :)  My mom always says kids like me because I have a sweet voice and I am sort of animated when I am around kids.

We do get asked to babysit a lot. People must think we do a good job because we always get asked back for return engagements. As a matter of fact, we hung out with 2 of our favorite little boys Saturday night . We also spent the evening with The Backyardigans, The Bubble Guppies and Yo Gabba, Gabba. We had a dance party and played catch, We had snacks and changed diapers and wiped runny noses. And we enjoyed every minute of it. We had to break up a few fights and separate them more than once but they still like us and we sad when we had to leave.

Whenever I see my massive husband (muscle not fat) with a little one I fall in love with him all over again. It is so sweet to see my giant of a man wiping a tiny little nose or grabbing a mini hand. My heart melts when I see a little person curled up in his lap while he reads a story. I can't wait for the day he becomes a father to our child. In the meantime, we have lots of people who are happy to let us practice with their children.

No comments:

Post a Comment